Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Day #333 - Whining

Hi Penny Pals-

It’s nearly midnight. Figured I’d have a quick dinner with you and at least begin tonight’s Penny Tale before proceeding with my other chores.

This morning on the way to work I vowed to leave promptly at 6 PM tonight. Doc was going to be at school until at least 9 M so that would give me a few hours to work on that important assignment from Chaz (the Penny Finders Handbook) and other things I needed to do.

At 5:30 PM I got a call from a colleague asking me if I could take his lecture TOMORROW! Eeks! I have meetings until class time tomorrow, so that would mean 4-8 hours of preparation tonight. Which was more important? Advancing Penny Finders or being a team player at work? This was a tough decision.

***************

This morning as I was walking across campus, I was Whining to the Penny Angels. “Yesterday I found a penny, nickel and dime, but was lacking a quarter to ‘Hit for the Cycle’. You KNOW you could have provided that. You gave JR FOUR quarters and he was flashing them in front of me to tease me!”

After a meeting I wandered through the Student Center looking at the floors under the tables and cash register areas. My thoughts, “Look Up! Don’t be so set in your ways. Look ‘outside the typical’”. I then looked on top of the dining tables and within a minute found a penny sitting on one of them! (Coin #1)

Lesson: “Look beyond the typical places for answers”.

The second penny was at the Poly Fresh entrance. There were two students and the cashier just chit chatting. They certainly didn’t notice the penny and I’m not sure they even noticed me as I dove between them to retrieve the coin! (Coin #2)

Lesson: How unaware we are of so many things around us.

***************

I quickly visited the bookstore. I have never found coins there before, but “Past Performance is no indication of Future Returns.” No coins inside. As I exited, I headed left back to my office.

Nudging: Go right instead”

Tina: “It’s sure noisy in here” (while proceeding Left).

Nudging: “Turn around!”

Tina: “There is construction out that way. I do NOT see why I should go there.”

Nudging: “Will you ever stop being so stubborn?”

Tina: “Probably not”. “This stuff is not logical and I’m having a tough time understanding”.

Nudging: “That’s why you are still dealing with pennies and not more complex issues”

I headed to the Right.

Nudging: “Now look under that vending machine”.

Tina: “I don’t see anything”.

Nudging: “Open your eyes and REALLY look”.

Tina: “OK. I see it now.” One-knee retrieval.

Nudging: “That is the quarter you were whining about.” (Coin #3)

Lessons: Quit Whining, Open Your Eyes, and Don’t be so Stubborn!

Today’s Total: 3 coins P (2), Q (1) = $0.27

P.S. I was ready to hit the send button when I skimmed back through my message. Are you wondering if I agreed to take tomorrow’s class or not?

Answer: The man making the request was a person whom I highly respect and admire. He gives ten times more than I do. I am grateful for all that he does and would do my utmost to support him. Thus, the tough decision was easily made by throwing in just one additional factor.

Lesson: Do what you can to assist others so they can perform to their full potential.

1 comment:

Chaz DeSimone said...

Tina, your stories are only trumped by your lessons. This is a most fun way to learn about life!