Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Saturday, February 27, 2010

Day #435 - Doc-sledding

Today was spent “taking care of business”. I graded papers and prepared for classes. Doc ate, napped, and worked with son Stephen on some property management tasks.

I spent the entire morning grading papers, then around 1 PM declared it time for a one-hour break. It had been raining heavily all day. We hopped into our “sled” and careened down the course. It was a fast run; completed in less than an hour.

The first turn was the post office. It was very crowded and there were no coins.

Doc next steered us through the high school parking lot chute. He found one penny, then pointed to a second one. I asked him why he didn’t pick up the one he had just stepped over - because he hadn’t seen it! I got back in the “sled” to continue our run, but Doc kept walking the parking lot - finding three more pennies. (Coins #1-6).

We next went to the bank for some cash. That only takes one person, so I let Doc handle that while I slalomed through the grocery store earning a silver in one check out lane, then a copper in another. (Coins #7&8)

The In-N-Out Burger diner was in the same parking lot, so we headed there for lunch. Last week I found an In-N-Out gift card in the street in front of our house. It was a trash pick up day, so I assumed that card was used and had fallen from someone’s trash can. Back to the “assumptions” lesson of two days ago. We placed our order at the counter inside the store where I asked the cashier if the card had a balance. It did! Our lunch bill was $5.14. With a $5 credit, that meant only 14¢ due. That was a nice surprise!

While waiting for our burgers to be prepared, Doc noticed a penny or two through the window. Going out in the drive through lane would be suicidal with that long line of “sleds”! No way! Our burgers were taking a long time and the desire to retrieve those coins was getting stronger and stronger … The vehicle at the window was huge and imposing, but the two-person team inside it looked really friendly. So I ran outside, smiled, motioned for the driver to roll down her window, handed her a Penny Card, and said, “It’s Day #435 and I’d like to reach under your car so please don’t run over me”. I collected SIX pennies, then gave two to the female passenger with a smile and said, “God’s 2¢ worth for you two!”. Profit Sharing. (Coins #9-14).

It was a fun run and we were quickly home safe and sound.

Total: 14 Coins P (13), N (0), D (1), Q (0) = $0.23

No comments: