Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Saturday, March 12, 2011

Day #813 - Score!

Doc acquired a nickel as well as his breakfast at Johnny’s Burgers this morning. (Coin #1) Then he came home and we worked on income taxes and other things until late afternoon.

Figured I needed two things: to deposit a check at the bank and find a coin. There were no coins to be found at the closed bank, so we headed for the high school parking lot. I hopped out of the van and found my penny within seconds. (Coin #2). I was ready to head home.

***************

Doc wanted more steps on his pedometer and more coins. He walked the parking lot and collected two dimes and four pennies. (Coins #3-8).

Next we needed petrol. I found a penny outside the convenience store (none inside). Doc found a dime while fueling. (Coins #9&10).

I looked in the planter near the vacuum pump canister. It looked like the little bin had recently been dumped and there was a pile of debris. I kicked at it and scuffed through it several times with my shoe. No coins, lots of other (yucky) things. I said, “Angels, surely with all this trash, there must be a penny in here. I just KNOW there is”. So I continued to search until I had a penny. As I bent over to pick it up, I spotted another penny nearby, then another, which let to another… There suddenly were seven pennies there! (Coins #11-17).

Thought: Sometimes you must get down and dirty to collect the rewards. There may be things be gained by getting a little dirty and uncomfortable.

***************

Doc then had a craving for Mexican food saying “Besides, I need a quarter to Hit for the Cycle”. The Mexican restaurant was on the next corner, so we arrived within moments. Doc got out of the van saying, “Quarter, quarter, quarter, quarter”. Just outside the door of the restaurant there was a row of children’s candy and trinket dispensers. Doc spotted silver. Rats! A nickel, then a second nickel! (Coins #18&19) Normally he would be excited. TWO nickels (the rarest of the four major coins to find). Doc said, “But I asked for quarters”. He then looked around the corner at the newspaper racks. There was something silver in a coin return. Yes, not just one, but TWO quarters! Score! (Coins #20&21). The Angels were having fun. That makes for a DOUBLE Hit for the Cycle today!

We had not been to this restaurant for several months and I usually would also search the next door convenience store. Doc had four coins at that stop, so I wanted some as well. I walked in the store looking very carefully for coins. Nothing. I had spoken with the one cashier before, so I told her it was Day #813. I turned to leave and there was a shiny penny on the floor! (Coin #22) She and I laughed. Smiles. The other cashier didn’t know what was going on. So I explained and gave him a Penny Card. I turned to leave and there was a second Penny at the door! Mushroom coin. (Coin #23) We all laughed. Shared JOY.

As I am writing this story, Doc is reclined in his chair and moaning, “Too much hot salsa”.

Total: 23 Coins P (15), N (3), D (3), Q (2) = $1.10

No comments: