Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Friday, August 26, 2011

Day #980 - Going Solar



This morning Doc stopped for coffee on the way to the jobsite. He graciously offered to toss me out of the van at the shopping center across the street so I could deposit a check and look for coins while he was getting his coffee. I began my search at the In-N-Out Burger. A dime and two pennies at the picnic tables, two pennies at the drive up window, an additional two pennies in the parking area, one drowned penny in a water puddle, and another penny as I was walking toward the bank. I conducted my transaction, then met Doc as he drove up in the van - right past a nickel. (Coins #1-10)

We arrived at the jobsite at 7:30 a.m. No one else was there yet. I was disappointed, but it turned out to be a good thing. We had scheduled a 9 a.m. meeting with Robert, a neighbor at the Penny Palace and a rep for a solar panel company. Robert arrived before we had even unlocked the gate! We questioned his early arrival. He was there to take measurements and be fully prepared for our meeting. We surprised him by being there. That unplanned meeting gave us time to get to know him as a neighbor instead of a solar sales rep. Nice.

Around 8 a.m. Joey, the Metal Fabricator and Greg, the company estimator, arrived. Working conditions for Joey today must have been hell! He was installing highly reflective sheet metal which was facing directly into the sun. Temperatures were at 107 degrees with extremely high humidity. He earned his wages today.

Framer Danny came by and quickly removed three exterior doors such that Joey could place metal in the doorways.

***************

At 9 a.m. Robert returned in “Business Mode” with his calculations of solar array output and costs. Doc and I had always wanted to install solar panels. (After all these years of promoting solar cars, it seemed we should at least have a system on our house). We were told when we began construction that panels were not allowed on the rooftops in our community. We knew that legally the Homeowner’s Association could not be so restrictive, but we did not want to be the ones to investigate and challenge that. (Didn’t want to create enemies while trying to get the house built and approved). It turns out that Robert took up that battle and Homeowners have been notified that rooftop solar panels are now allowed! Thank You Robert. Thus, today we began the process of designing our system.

***************

This afternoon the temperatures in our current house were unbearable to me, so I went out to do some research on flooring (to a store with air conditioning). I left Doc and the dogs to suffer and nap with the TV. I got a few ideas at the flooring store.

On the way home I stopped at Trader Joe’s for dog food. I searched the store thoroughly, but found no coins. On the way back to the truck I said, “Hi Penny Angles. It is really hot and miserable out here today. I’m disappointed that you did not provide a coin while I’ve been out this afternoon. What’s up?” As I approached Pippy from the passenger side (I would typically head straight to the driver’s side), there was a nickel in the parking spot next to mine. “Thanks Penny Angels, that was fun”. (Coin #11)

Total: 11 Coins P (8), N (2), D (1), Q (0) = $0.28



No comments: