Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Thursday, December 31, 2009

Day #377 - New Year's Eve

Today began with a wonderful phone call from the hospital for “Aunt Tina”. My friends in TX (that wedding last summer) had just given birth to a baby girl. The rest of the day was house cleaning and various normal errands.

Doc had an eye appointment at the clinic in Rancho Cucamonga. The medical technician working with us seemed personable, so I shared the PennyFinders story with her and gave her a Penny Card. She shared that her mother often speaks to her deceased brother and finds a penny during those times. So many people have their own Penny Tales.

Doc could not drive after his vision test, so he became passenger for the day. Neither one of us liked the role reversal. I was not able to tackle any of the tasks I normally do while he is driving. And he was feeling vulnerable (aka grumpy) because he was impaired.

Doc wanted hot dogs for lunch. Since I was driving, I could not hop out and do my usual search mode at the drive up window. But the Penny Angels were understanding of that, so they provided a penny up on a ledge so that I could easily reach for it with one hand while paying the cashier with the other hand! (Coin #1)

Our next stop was the recycle station to turn in bottles and cans. (Our “green” action for the day). A half hour line to turn in a few dollars of trash. I grew impatient and walked through the nearby grocery store. Lots of customers and long lines. Really difficult to barge into one line and capture that wayward penny (Coin #2). Determination.

We made the long drive to Pasadena to feed the Grandfish. (Not a smart place to go on New Year’s Eve). Stopped at the Vons groceries for a Starbucks coffee. The parking lot was filled and the lines inside were very long. But I got one penny! (Coin #3)

On the way home Doc wanted to stop at Trader Joes. He found a dime when entering. I went next door to the Petco to find out about Rabies shot clinics. Found a penny there. (Coins #4&5) As we were getting into our car, we met a colleague from work. We were a little surprised since we were 20 miles from home and work. He said he had just found a penny and was thinking of PennyFinders!

As we fuelled the van, there was a penny at the gas station. (Coin #6).

We shared the PennyFinders story with people at the hot dog diner, at the grocery stores, etc. All of them smiled. How can I add those Penny Smiles to the Smile counter?

Thoughts: It really only took a very brief moment to say “Hello” and give people a Penny Card, and it was sooo worth it. Each of them had just a moment of shared JOY.

Today’s Total: 6 coins P (5), N (0), D (1), Q (0) = $0.15

No comments: