Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Saturday, December 18, 2010

Day #729 - Perspective

Today I learned about “Perspective” in several ways.

This week I had the opportunity to speak with two people who had both been witness to some recent events. I spoke with each of them independently and I believe I was able to gain a fairly good understanding of their perceptions of the various situations. It really opened my eyes tremendously to see how powerful our “perspectives are and how much they influence our choices, our feelings, our attitudes, our health, the way we deal with other people.

***************’

This morning I had agreed to take my mom somewhere. Then she surprised me by saying she wanted to be taken to the mall!!! I don’t do any Christmas shopping and I especially avoid any malls. She was asking a lot.

Every spot in the parking lot was filled, it was drizzling and I do not like having my “planned daily schedule” messed up. My attitude was horrible. I needed an “attitude adjustment”. After mom paid for her one item, she received 2¢ change. I quipped to the cashier, maybe those are my pennies for today”. Of course that lead to a quick explanation about Penny Finding and I gave her a Penny Card. She was smiling Big. Shared Joy, Attitude Adjusted.

As we walked away, I told mom, “Look for a penny. Usually shortly after I ‘share’ the story, I will find a coin”. Within minutes I found a penny under a display of Men’s sweaters! (Thank you Penny Angels). (Coin #1).

By then Mom was hungry and asked to stop at In-N-Out burgers for lunch. Long lines. As we approached the window, I saw a shiny penny. Made Mom hop out and get it! (Coin #2) There is no such thing as a free lunch - she needed to earn her keep. At first she didn’t see it, yet it was shining like a beacon to me! Then I spotted two less obvious pennies and hopped out to fetch those. (Coins #3&4).

I took Mom home then stopped at a grocery store to get munchies for tonight’s party. Bought a veggie tray and found 1 dime and 4 pennies. Shared a smile and Penny Finding with two people at whose feet I retrieved two of the coins. (Coins #5-9). Shared smiles.

***************

Once home, I retrieved today’s mail. There was our first water bill for the new house. (I had the water service started on November 1). My heart jumped and I thought, “Wow! It’s becoming REAL! This new house is really happening! I was genuinely excited and joyous to see that water bill! Within milli-seconds the Brain kicked in. The “logical / serious / analytical / pre-programmed /socially correct” aspects took over and said, “You idiot! No one is happy to get a bill. That means Payment! That is absurd. You are NOT supposed to be happy to get a bill. That is NOT acceptable thinking.”

WHY? Perceptions. They can be (and maybe should be) changed.

***************

Today Doc went to assist son, Stephen in working on a dresser for the new grandchild. Good father-son bonding time. And Doc collected 1 nickel and 3 dimes at Starbucks while getting the coffees for their work session. (Coins #10-13)

***************

This evening we were invited to a Christmas gathering at the home of a friend. It was a long drive and Doc and I really didn’t want to go out in the rain. But we are so glad we did. Aside from the great (and very abundant) food, we got to see the Newport Boat Show. Wow! That was spectacular.

What I liked best about this evening was the people we met. The guests were people who traveled in VERY different circles than Doc and I do. It was so interesting to listen and learn from them about their various projects, occupations, experiences, and involvements. They definitely have different perspectives from the “engineering” thinking. Wish I could have had more hours to learn from them.

Thought: Our Perceptions create our Reality.

Maybe we need to question our “Acceptable and non-acceptable” thoughts.

Total: 13 Coins P (8), N (1), D (4), Q (0) = $0.53

No comments: