Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Day #1,167 - Leap Day

At 9 a.m. Doc and I were at the Fixture Shop returning some unused plumbing parts. Then a stop at the tile store to return the assortment of tile samples I had collected over the past few months. We are trying to clean up things one piece at a time.

***************

At 9:40 Iron Jimmy arrived at the jobsite. I saw his truck parked out front, yet Doc was walking down the driveway with someone I did not recognize. Thought maybe it was Jimmy’s installer. It was not. It was a City Inspector, Alex, from Public Works. He was asking if we had a permit for the new driveway and for cutting the curb away? In our approvals from the City (1.5 years ago) we were already told we had approvals to install the circular driveway. “Yes, but have you filed the forms, provided the $1 million insurance policy, and paid your fees yet?” No. New Action Item.

While we were discussing things with the inspector, Iron Jimmy was quietly going about his business upstairs. People kept asking how we were going to finish off the edge of the floor upstairs so it would look nice from the Grand Room. Wood molding? Painted edging? That would be Classic. I decided to go Heavy Metal. That will also provide a good, sturdy base for the railing.

***************

Doc and I spent three hours working on the tile stream and dry fit another 2 sf. By 2 p.m. I was too cold and weary to continue. A bit of a sore throat and fever. We shut down and were driving away. I texted to Project Manager Daryl to say we were leaving. His reply, “I know. I am in the truck behind you”. So we drove a mile, then stopped at the 7-11 store for coffee and a debrief with Daryl. Doc said, “We don’t’ have any coins yet today.” So he collected two dirt coins from a planter bed. Then I grabbed the penny which was in the aisle as we entered the store. (Coins #1-3).

The guys mixed their poisons, then we went outside to chat. Doc pulled out the two coins he had found. He thought they were pennies, but in his pocket they had changed to dimes. Alchemy? Back to the joke about me finding coppers and Doc finding silvers.

We were standing in the walkway when Doc spotted a penny in a planter. I reached for it and then noticed a dime and a quarter which suddenly became apparent. Daryl was amazed. Then I spotted another quarter and dime just a foot or two further away. Daryl’s comment, “You guys just blow me away”. Then as we continued talking there was another penny, then another. There was also something bigger than a nickel, yet smaller than a quarter. Could be just a metal slug. Need to wash it and confirm. We said, “Eleven coins and one Maybe. Need another coin to make it a Coin Mine”. Within moments we found a penny. Then, as I was walking back to the van, there was a penny wedged vertically in a crack. Baker’s dozen. (Coins #4-13)

By 4 p.m. we were home. I ate a few spoonfuls of crushed garlic, then went to bed for a few hours. Much needed rest and warmth.

Leap Year = One extra day in the month. I’d like an extra month in my year!

Total: 14 Coins P (8), N (0), D (4), Q (2) = $0.98 + one slug

No comments: