Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Day #200- Joyful Celebration

Hi Penny Pals-

Focus Word for Promise Day 25 : CELEBRATION

It is the final day of the 25 Days of Promise Program. Hopefully you made little changes which can lead to Big Differences.

***************

I don’t even know where to begin with today’s Penny Tale. There are stories and photos and so many incredible “vignettes”. If today were made into a 2-hr feature movie, you would be laughing the whole time.

Last night before going to bed at 2 a.m., I asked the Angels where I should go hunting on Day #200? Would they like to do something showy? Maybe they would like to attach something with one of the coins (similar to the Diamond on Day 50)? Would it be just Doc and I or would other people be involved?

***************

I planned to wake up and get to Starbucks #1 before 6 a.m. Overslept but made it by 7:30 a.m.. While Doc slowly drove through the long line of cars, I did step up exercises on the curb. (At least that’s what it looked like to the other people in the cars and the cashiers). But I kept finding coins! Coin #1 ,2, 3, 4, …every time Doc advanced the van, I found more coins! By the time we reached the window, I thought we had 22 coins! They were so soil/concrete loaded, that I could not tell their denominations except by the size.

I believed there were 15 pennies, 2 nickels, 3 dimes, and 2 quarters. And one of the dimes had an attachment – a little stone which seemed to be glued to it!. There were even TWO “Hits for the Cycle! In these coins. We were so excited. That was the equivalent of 105 Cents!

Note: When we washed and counted the coins there were 24 - 16 pennies, 2 nickels, 4 dimes, 2 quarters. There were several pairs of coins stuck together.

***************
We began driving away when Doc realized that in all the excitement, he had forgotten to add the condiments in his coffee. We pulled aside at IHOP.
I was revved. I called and left two voicemail broadcasts – one to Mandy and a few friends on Verizon, the other to a few co-workers through the school voicemail. Wanted them to Share the Joy in this HUGE Find! While calling them, I found a penny in front of the van at the newspaper racks (Coin #25). While I was calling, Doc was walking – and returned with a penny (Coin #26).

***************
We had over 25 (my favorite number) coins in hand and a very “respectable haul for the day”. I was almost content to call it a day and get to my job.

When we realized we had over 100 cents, we were enthused. Our thoughts went nutty. Could we make it to TWO hundred cents for the 200 Day Celebration? That would be really impressive.

***************
The next shopping center was just down the street a little. Doc pulled in there. I walked for maybe 1000 steps while he cruised in the van. I was walking, wondering and talking to the Angels. What to do next?

This streak of 200 days began with finding ONE penny, then it was 5 days of pennies, then 10 …we did those 100 Consecutive Days of Penny Findings, then the 10 Weeks of Change, then the 25 Days of Promise. Now that we have hit the 200 Mark, will this Penny Finding continue? How? In what form?

Maybe we could take PennyFinders to the streets!? Get other people active in the Findings and then some how “feature” them on the website. Not sure how to implement this.

***************At that shopping center I found 3 pennies in the CVS. (Coins #27-29)
Two at the front counter upon walking in. I thought: “This exercising and PennyFinding must be good for my blood pressure. So I went back to the pharmacy area to take a BP reading
I also figured if I sat there for a moment, I might find a penny. I did! It was a dark spot on the dark carpet -I thought it was a gum blob.

***************
We were quite inspired by the “haul” at that piont. We decided to go on a “Sponsors Tour” - to visit a half dozen of the places where I have commonly found coins during these past 200 days.

And we would pass out business cards and say hello to various people / customers as we went.

We went across the street to Carl’s Jr. No coins at drive through. Walking away we found 2 pennies in the parking lot (Coins #30&31). Surprise!



***************
I was feeling giddy at this point. Just couldn’t have such a special day without a Singsong.Penny Angles, Penny Angels
What do you say?
Wanna make it two hundred cents today?


***************
Next door was a Rite Aid Pharmacy. The two cashiers inside were delightful. I spotted a nickel and Patrice helped me retrieve it. (Coin #32)


***************
When I emerged victorious from the store Doc said, “Is this the same person who was happy with merely ONE penny yesterday?” I told him, “Like an athlete – I knew today was going to be a key day, so I did not push hard yesterday. I was resting up and not going to push it hard yesterday”.

***************

There was one penny at the 99¢ Only Store. It took a while to find that one since it was by the hand baskets and diet drinks versus the check out area. (Coin #33)

Figured if this was a “Sponsors Tour” I should try the parking lot of the Fitness Center strip mall. For weeks I have been regularly searching the Circle K there. Today Margita got to celebrate this special day with the two pennies found in her store. (Coins #34&35)

Across the street is the Dollar Tree store where I have found so many coins. I walked three times around the checkout lanes and then down each aisle. I was discouraged. Nothing! Then just as I was leaving, I spotted a penny under the candy dispensers by the door. (Coin #36)

Next door is a CVS Store. Nothing in the checkout area, so I had Doc go to the back of the store at the pharmacy area to take is blood pressure reading . (Really so I had an excuse to loiter in the area). Doc’s arm was too big to fit into the cuff, but we found a penny. (Coin #37).

***************

Car washes are usually a good find. I found one at the vacuum area, (Coin #38) then I went inside to the convenience store. I could walk the whole store in about 12 steps. The cashier asked if he could help me. I replied: “I was looking for today’s penny for Penny Tales, but I don’t see any.” Samson replied: “There is one on the threshold.” No way! He walked past me, shut the door and retrieved the penny saying, “I saw it earlier when I was sweeping. If it had been a dime, I would have picked it up, but not a penny”. (Coin #39). Outside where people were waiting for their cars to be washed, there were 5-6 occupied benches. I spotted a penny. (Coin #40). As I went under to fetch it, another one became visible. (Coin #41). An older lady was watching my antics so I gave her a business card to explain myself. “I am writing today’s Penny Tale”. By this time I was running out of business cards. I had looked 3 times under her bench, but while talking to her, a Mushroom Dime appeared. (Coin #42).
Doc likes KFC, so of course we had to look there. Two pennies (Coins #43&44).
Then next door to McDonalds. A young worker was cleaning around the drive through area. I told him he might be sweeping away my story! But I still found a dime there (Coin #45).

Doc and I went to Lowe’s. Searched the check out lines. Several of the cashiers said it was very unusual not to find any coins on the floor.

The Del Taco had one penny for us. (Coin #46).

***************

It was time to head home. I really did need to get to work. We were only four coins away from getting fifty coins - that would sure be nifty. 100 would be swell as well…

Doc said: “For that we would need another Coin Mine like at Starbucks this morning”.

Doc was a little disheartened at that point since he had only found 4-5 of the many coins today.

***************
We pulled into the Shell station since it was on the way home and I have previously found several coins there. I went inside and found a penny. (Coin #47). One of the people working there was a cute blonde with a gorgeous smile. I wanted to get the photo of her retrieving the penny, but she walked away before I could get to my camera.

Doc gave me the penny he found by the pumps. (Coin #48) and walked back toward the van.

Then I saw Heidi. Look at this face. She had a cancerous lump removed from her head. Her face was so blistered and scarred. Her eyes had been damaged by numerous radiation treatments. Her nose was bleeding. She was on her way to the oncologist again. She looked like she had gone through several months of discomfort, yet she was smiling and loving. Would you be as gracious if life put you through such challenges? Moments like that makes you stop and reflect your many blessings - or at least do a check on your attitude.


Doc was behind the van over in the ivy plants and behind the air & water dispensers, plus a tall vacuum canister. I could hear him, but not see him … I heard. “21, 22, 23…” I wondered what he was doing. He emerged and said, “Get a Baggie for these” – and handed me a bunch of dirt-coated coins.
He went back to collecting ….”42, 43, 44 …I think that’s all here. “Doc, it is time to leave now” … 3, 4, 5, 6 more here….!” At that point I got on the phone to leave voicemail messages for Penny Pals. We had the Nifty FIFTY in one location! I hear Doc from the bushes saying, “55, 56, 57 ….That’s all …58 …we can go now …59….60 That’s all …. 61” We left there with 65 (?) coins! Talk about a Coin Mine!

Note: Later at home we counted 66 coins - 63 pennies, 1 nickel, 2 dimes.

***************
At home I quickly changed clothes and gathered my gear for work.
I zeroed the mental “coin meter” since I had no idea how many we had by that point.

***************
Then I thought of the local McDonalds. How could I do a “Sponsor Tour” without including that place? It has been good to us. Doc quickly drove me there to retrieve a shiny penny in the drive through (Coin PM 1). Doc found a penny at the self-serve car wash (Coin PM 2).

Doc had lunch with Simon, one of his former student assistants and now colleague. They drove through a Starbucks and retrieved one penny (Coin PM 3).

At work just after 5 p.m. I went to the College office to send out some mail. Found a nickel and a penny there. (Coins PM 4&5).
***************
Since I started writing Penny Tales, a co-worker, John, has been constantly searching for coins. He even checks the vending machines several times a day and is dismayed when I find coins there and he does not.
This afternoon John handed me a penny which he had found in one of the nearby rooms. His comment, “I’ve been looking all day for a coin to contribute to your Celebration. I was happy for him.
He continued, “And I finally found coins at the vending machine; here they are”. He opened his hand to reveal a pile of silver! Ten quarters, three dimes, and one nickel. Wow!! And he even “Hit for the Cycle as well!” Good for him. Penny Fever is Spreading rapidly.

John is a very honest man, so I had no reason to question him. I was just amazed that he should find so much so quickly! Then he said, “So my 15 coins total $2.86 and now beat your impressive find for today!” Is this is now becoming a competitive sport? This is fun!


***************

As I was driving home and passing the McDonalds near campus, I realized a “Sponsor Tour” would not be complete without a coin from that establishment. There were still a few minutes to go until midnight, so maybe one more coin for today? I parked near the door and waited for the single car to leave the drive through window. They must have had to kill the cow - it took eternity for that car to leave. I walked the entire lot and back and forth. Finally the car moved. I carefully searched both drive through windows areas back and forth and back again. Three passes. Nothing. So I said, “Penny Angels - I did not stop here in the middle of the night to find nothing! After waiting this long I expect at least one coin here”! I then saw my penny and then a second one (Coins PM 6&7). Then there was a dime just under the window plus a penny next to it! (Coins PM 8&9). The “Out Loud” talk resulted in 4 Asphalt Coins. (See Glossary).

***************
Last Sunday Doc said if I found a nickel (since those are difficult to find) he would be at my mercy the rest of the evening and do whatever I requested. I found 5 nickels today. I wonder what that will get me ;-)

***************


Penny Pals Thank You for Sharing in a Spectacular display of Findings for the Day #200 Celebration. We found 123 coins, walked over 12,000 steps, infected other people who found coins, distributed 20-25 business cards, heard a few stories from others, witnessed plenty of smiles, and Shared Lots of JOY.

No comments: