Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Friday, July 17, 2009

Day #210 - Hunting & Dining

Last night I was “inspired” until 5 a.m. with PennyFinders ideas! This morning I did household chores and financial stuff. It was suddenly 2 in the afternoon when I realized I had only 1900 steps on my pedometer and had not yet found a penny for today. Time to take decisive action.

Doc and I decided to check on the painter’s progress at our cabin. He has been power washing, scraping, patching bird holes, and priming the exterior. So up to the mountains we went -- making just one or two little, itty bitty stops looking for that ONE penny …

l McDonald’s, Pomona

We went there strictly to look for coins, but Doc felt he needed to at least order a drink (One of the more obvious and common symptoms of Penny Fever)

First window D (1), P (4)

Jeffrie was trying to hand us our drink, but noticed that we were looking around. “Are you looking for coins or something?” “Well, yes, we are.” So he pointed out a penny for us to retrieve.

Second Window D (1), P (1)

Seven coins was adequate to meet the requirements.

l Red Light

It was a long signal, so Doc said “Take a hike through that KFC and when the light turns, I’ll pull around and get you on the other side”. (Coin #8)

Doc’s Quip: “If You Have Time, You Must Find!

l Red Light

Doc was at a red light saying, “I was talking to you and not even looking at the center divider here”! So he looked. Then he hopped out just as the light was going green and returned with his penny. J (Coin #9)

l 7-11, Foothill

Doc is truly addicted. He could not pass there without stopping and looking.

He found a penny by the propane tanks, I found one in the lot and then a penny right next to the van as I returned there.

Doc went next door to the self serve car wash. He found a penny and then spotted a quarter (or slug) in the drain channel, but could not retrieve it. Luckily after those forgone coins a few days ago, I put a set of chopsticks in the van just in case … Today I got to use them! A quarter from under the drain grate.

We finally made it to the cabin! Met with the painting crew - they were taking a break on the sofas and watching TV.

Doc used the toilet -- and broke the lever arm! So off we went to the hardware store - and more detours!

l Valero Station, Crestline

Drink purchased. Penny at the check out register,

l 7-11, Crestline

I walked there while Doc got a burger at McDonalds. Penny found. (Coin #15)

We fixed the toilet and headed down the mountain

l At the stop sign to merge onto Highway 18

We looked at each other simultaneously - could that shiny spot in front of the van really be a penny out there? It was -- and a very abused one.

l Starbucks at the base of the mountain

4 dimes at the window. But no half caff at that hour, so Doc parked to wait - and found another penny.

l Walking the Diner’s row

Doc waited for coffee while I walked to get more steps on my pedometer and another penny (Coin #22)

Going down the freeway and in the home stretch. Doc said: “I think we have 98¢ now. We should go for 100. On second thought - let’s make it 101 to be safe”. He pulled off the freeway looking for a target rich environment.

l Der Weinersnitzel

Doc ordered a hot dog - just to drive through. 2 pennies! J

He parked the van (which somewhat counteracts the purpose of a drive through).

I went in to use the restroom and emerged to find him hunting again! Penny in front of the Wells Fargo bank.

l Red Light

Doc’s comment, “Hop out and run through that Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf drive through”

I did. Dime found. (Coin #26)

Doc is sure spending big and taking on calories as he “Penny Hunts” his way home.

Today’s total: 26 Coins Q (1), D (7), N(0), P (18) = $1.13

Lesson: Seek and You Will Find

No comments: