Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Thursday, December 15, 2011

Day #1,091 - SNOW!

A neighbor said it had been 13 years since the last snow in our new neighborhood. Today the snow line fell to approximately 10 houses south of us. There was no snow just down the street, but it was a different story at the Penny Palace!

This morning when I arrived on site, HVAC Brian and his friend were ‘modifying’ that protrusion of vent pipe. That way the cabinet installers won’t need to cut a notch in the molding.

It was a gorgeous morning and the Landscaping guys were busy preparing the patio steps.

The tile crew was laying more tile - including the Penny Rug.

The power company (SCE) engineer dropped in. He had not seen the house since the first month when we merely had concrete forms. He enjoyed seeing the blueprints come to life.

At noon I left to get tile grout, caulking and the tile medallion. I stopped at a craft store to get glitter paint for the backsides of the glass medallion pieces. Found 3 pennies there (Coins #1-3). I then went to the tile store and picked up the grout and the medallion. It is comprised of various tile pieces from other parts of the house. The tile store did not have caulking, so it was suggested that I go to Home Depot or Lowe’s. But I was told not to leave the medallion unattended in the back of the pickup truck. Someone might just decide they would like it for a Christmas present.

I called Doc to “Medallion Sit”. He rushed over and met me at Lowe’s. While waiting in the parking lot for his arrival, I found a Penny. (Coin #4). Doc called me en route to tell me he was on his way. Just after calling me he collected a Median Find Coin. A quarter! (Reward for coming to my rescue?) (Coin #5). Doc stayed in the parking lot while I went into the store. He found two pennies while wandering around. (Coins #6&7).

As we drove toward the Penny Palace, the skies got darker and darker. Rain, lightning and thunder began. I pulled over and transferred the bags of grout into Doc’s van. We proceeded. When heading North up the main street toward the mountains, the rushing water was scary. I began wondering if the water was deep enough to sweep Pippy’s tires off the street.

As I turned the corner into our Deer Creek development, I noticed a little bit of white stuff on the street. Being from Southern California, it took me a few moments to realize what that was. As I kept driving it got deeper and deeper. I’m not sure Pippy has ever seen snow before. We took it slowly and carefully the rest of the way to the Penny Palace. I parked, but did not dare get out and wade in the ankle-deep freezing, rushing water. Parked on the other side of the street and wondered what to do. There was a 3” blanket of snow all around!

Finally I got up the gumption to forge across the streams and snow. I wanted to get to those cameras inside the house so that I could capture this scene for you.

Doc and I checked out the interior of the house. We found significant water seeping across the floor of the dining room. Not good at all. We ventured out into the freezing rain to try and divert the water cascading off the roof in that area.

I was so cold and miserable! I was wondering how to get the heavy medallion from across the street, through the ice and snow, and safely into the house. HVAC Brian appeared again! He just dropped in on his way home from work! Why? “Because the Penny Palace makes him feel good and brings him good luck!” He and Doc carried the medallion inside.

After a few hours of numbing coldness, I told Doc I was heading home with or without him. My icicled toes were ready to crack off. I asked the cabinet installers to lock up and I left!

***************

Tomorrow we close escrow with our Exchange Property #1. Thus we are scrambling to get insurance and other last-minute details. A contractor is scheduled to arrive tomorrow and begin the necessary repairs to get that unit rent-ready.

We are also working on counter offers for Property #2 and a few other issues.

Life is exciting!

Total: 7 Coins P (6), N (0), D (0), Q (1) = $0.31

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I finally figured out why Californians are so crazy. Sunny in the morning, snowing in the evening.... hmmmm.... Neat photos Miss Tina! I'm so glad you are documenting all of this craziness!