Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Monday, August 10, 2009

Day #234 - Submitted an Offer

A week ago we were not even thinking of the New House Construction Project. My goal was to fix up the cabin this month. All that CHANGED one week ago when son Stevie sent us some information on a vacant parcel of land in Deer Creek.

Wow! Now that I am reflecting on things, … I do recall when we hit Day #225 I said something flippant to the Angels like: “Finding pennies for 225 days is a nice sign, but don’t we need to take stronger actions if you expect me to build this ARK? I don’t see how finding pennies is getting a structure built. Just how long do we keep finding coins? When do we start moving it to the next level?” I had forgotten about that conversation until just now.

Two days later Stevie called us with information about a Bank Owned property as a possible building lot for us. I wasn’t really even interested in thinking about a new lot. Doc was saying “We need to move quickly on this”.

The lot had been on the market for 4 days. Wednesday after work we investigated and measured the land. The neighbor (retired contractor who built his house across the street) came out with his tape measure in hand, then spent an hour providing us with all sorts of information.

We were busy Thursday and Friday. Saturday we looked at the parcel again and cruised the neighborhood. Sunday we looked at other lots in Claremont. This morning we spent hours at City Hall with Planning, Engineering, Building and Safety, etc. The Engineer in Building is a Cal Poly Pomona graduate who was in my class and he also had taken a course from Doc. That was encouraging.

So many things to consider. Size of new lot is only half acre (versus 1 acre we have now). Less landscaping in retirement years, but much closer to neighbors. Hill versus level area. New community versus old and established. Mansions in the neighborhood versus Eleanor’s old historical stone house across the street. Utilities installed. Septic Tank needed. Existing house plans would not work. Starting at Ground Zero there.

This evening we signed an offer. Results expected tomorrow.

********************

Now for today’s Penny Tale:

Very minimal finds. Doc had to stop at Starbucks on the way to City Hall this morning. One Penny. When I arrived at work, a co-worker walked in and presented a dime saying “Just found this outside the library. (Indirect find, yet reassuring).

We had a 5:15 appointment with the Realtor. We were asked to bring our latest Bank Statement to show funds. We quickly stopped at home for the document. The latest statement was at the front door in our mailbox on top of the other mail! Angel delivery?

On the way to the realty office to sign the papers, Doc had to stop at Starbucks. I walked around outside. Walked up and down the sidewalk several times. Nothing. I was a little disappointed. I was hoping maybe the Penny Angels would “say something” at this crucial decision making time.

I made up a Singsong and said out loud: “Penny Angels, Penny Angels, What do you say? Are we making a wise decision today?” As I uttered that last word, a penny appeared on the sidewalk! Mushroom Penny and validation?

Usually Doc and I do the grocery shopping together. Tonight he offered to go alone, so I could review documents, organize notes, and write Penny Tales to you. He just walked in handing me Penny #3 which he found at the cash register while checking out. ;-)

Total for the day: 3 Pennies.

Lesson: Don’t sass the Angels - they are likely to send you flying off in a new direction.

P.S. There have been many little “coincidences from the Penny Angels this week”. As I typed that word, I realized that the first 4 letters are : COIN Cute!

We did SHARE the Penny Angel Story with numerous people today.

Let’s see what tomorrow brings ….

No comments: