Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Saturday, August 15, 2009

Day #239 - Turn Around

Today’s Primary Focus was to deal with both showers at the cabin and get them fully functional. There were also a few other tasks to be completed there such as painting the door frame on the lower level, painting the address sign, taking measurements for the new flooring, etc. We left home at 7:30 a.m. and hoped to be back by late afternoon. Doc hates plumbing jobs.

Doc insisted upon stopping at Starbucks before getting on the freeway - and he chose one without a drive through. I was not happy. He instructed me to check the oil level while he got his coffee. I finished the job then walked the patio area saying, “I have never found coins out here, why did he drag me here?” Then I smacked myself and said instead, “Past Performance is no indicator of future results”. (Standard Financial Investment Disclosure). I looked on the ground throughout the patio. Noticed a leftover coffee cup and thought how rude some people are to leave their trash behind. But there was a dime on top of that table! (Coin#1) I was happy and told the Penny Angels that was enough Finding for today. I did not want to write tonight. It is a weekend - a day off please?

As we were exiting the freeway we were both looking out our windows for coins. It is somewhat of a joke we have since that time several months ago when I spotted a penny there and Doc claims he had to restrain me from jumping out to get it. We were joking about it when Doc spotted a penny on his side! He began unbuckling to make his move and I forbid it. The signal was turning green, there were two cars rapidly approaching us from behind, and it was not worth getting out for one penny. I promised to note it as his “forgone” penny for today. (Coin #2)

***************

We spent the morning working around the cabin. Doc was teasing me about painting with a QTip. (I did not have a small paint brush).

At one point I was asking “I wonder when this penny assignment will end. Perhaps when we get “official move in permission for the house” and Doc carries me across the threshold. At which point he lifted me in the living room, threw me over his shoulder, and carried me to the bedroom. His comment, “Just practicing to make sure I can still do it!” Then we got back to work.

After working a while on the plumbing, things were not going well. Doc was grumpy and had to make a McDonalds run for lunch. (He was claiming low blood sugar). I told him I had brought our lunches. He came back from his journey telling how he spotted a penny and swung wide in order to retrieve it. Then he spotted a series of pennies and a nickel between the pay window and pickup window. So he left the van and scooped up Coins #3-8. Sounded like a hunting safari. J

Mid afternoon run to the hardware store for parts. But 7-11 was beckoning us. Doc bought a fountain soda while I did a deep one-knee retrieval under the counter for two pennies and a nickel. (Coins #9-11). As we were leaving the store, we were smiling about our little “dance” at the register. Two pennies appeared on the floor mat in front of us (Coins #12&13).

Local little hardware stores are so much different than the big supper suppliers. A plumbing piece on the shower faucet had stripped out and we needed a special tool. The helpful hardware man, Steve, was so nice. He said, “You don’t want to buy the tool, just take this one and return it next time you come in.” No ID, no deposit, no names, no questions.

Turns out it was a quick Turn Around to the store since one of our replacement parts was defective. I was saying, “Penny Angels, Penny Angels, what do you say? We still need to find a quarter today.” No finds there. L The McDonalds drive up window yielded only one more penny. (Coin #14)

***************

Around 9 p.m. as we were driving home, Doc detoured to Sizzler. I was not thrilled. I just wanted to get home. After ordering the meal, I was heading one direction to the salad bar when I was “nudged” to go down the other aisle. The place was nearly empty and there was something shiny on one of the booth seats! Yup! That quarter I asked for. (Coin #15) I cheered and flashed it so Doc could see it from across the room where he was seated. A delightful couple intercepted the joyful interchange, so I shared the story with them as well. I think they enjoyed it.

Upon leaving the restaurant, I noticed the vacant McDonalds drive up window. Penny Fever! A quick cross country trek across the lot, over the grass and through the bushes. There was a penny. I picked it up and turned around to go back. The lights were shining on several coins and they were outright gleaming. There were two more pennies and a dime within a few feet of me where I had just step over! Mushroom coins.

Doc said: “Turn Around. Like we are doing for the house project. Seeing it in a whole new light”.

Total for the day: 19 coins Q (1), D (2), N(2), P (14) = $0.69 (one was foregone)

No comments: