Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Day #249 - Enjoy the Moment

I wanted today’s Tale to be a short one. To be honest, I’ve had a nice day and I’d really like to enjoy that mellowness, change into pajamas, forget about Penny Tales and go directly to bed.

But I will fulfill my “assignment” and write Penny Tales, then go pack tools and gear for tomorrow’s flooring installation at the cabin.

So far I do not have a lesson or a title for this Tale. Hoping those will be delivered shortly.

***************

New House Stuff:

The Realtor called at her standard 4:10 +/- time. She had contacted escrow to see why things are taking so long. Evidently the bank was submitting a different property address than what we were submitting, so the escrow company was confused. Maybe today things will get started for real?

***************

Penny Tale:

This morning Doc and I were headed to the cabin to paint all those sections of baseboard molding which we hauled up there last night. I was anxious to get on the road since I had a 5 PM meeting at school this evening and knew we would need every possible minute to get that molding job finished. He insisted on a stop at Starbucks L (With promises that I would likely find today’s penny). The drive up line was super long, so he parked the van and walked in for this coffee. I got even grumpier - no drive through window? He told me to settle down and go take a hike - try next door at iHOP. I walked. Penny at the first parking stall in front of iHOP. Done for the Day J

***************

We headed down the freeway to the cabin. At the offramp we again were laughing and joking about the foregone coin from many months ago. Doc suddenly exclaimed, “There IS one!” His specialty - Median Coins (Penny #2)

At the cabin, we spent an hour preparing the painting area and getting set up. Longer than anticipated. Then the painting took twice as long as Doc expected. Yet right in the middle of the job, I had a feeling of complete peace. The birds were talking, the sky was blue, the weather was perfect for painting and we were just chatting away on all sorts of subjects. For once I was “enjoying just that moment” instead of thinking of dozens of additional things.

On the way down the mountain, I was again anxious, looking at my watch, and counting the moments until my 5 PM meeting. Back to normal! And Doc wanted to stop at the San Bernardino McDonald’s! Grrrr….. I found a dime and penny at the pay window. The cashier said: “Hi Penny Finder. I remember you!” Yikes, is that good or bad? I looked back and forth at the Pickup window and did not see any coins. Doc was pointing to stress cracks in the pavement near a bollard. Sure enough, there were 3 pennies with only the very top edges showing. Almost needed tweezers for those. (Coins#3-7).

***************

This evening for the first time, I had some off campus, one-on-one time with a friend. I found myself for the second time today just setting aside all other plans, concerns, action items, etc. and just enjoying the “here and now”. That happens during our Play Time with the Twins, but not usually with other people. Seems like a good skill / lesson to continue learning.

11:45 PM I was typing this note to you and almost finished at this point. Doc just came home. His love note which I had overlooked …. “Tina, I went to KFC for dinner. Found two pennies on the ground at the food drive up window. Then while waiting, I saw a nickel on a window ledge 4-5 feet to the side of the drive up window. Can’t figure out how it would get up there.” (Coins #8-10). Such poetic prose ;-)

Total: 10 coins Q (0), D (1), N(1), P (8) = $0.23


Lesson: Learning to be “in the moment”.

No comments: