Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Saturday, May 5, 2012

Day #1,233 - Focus on Grading


We awoke at the cabin with the intentions of Doc grading exams and me catching up on some paperwork.  That did not happen.

After grading a few papers, Doc declared that he needed a coffee and would not do anything more until he had some. So I walked the dogs, locked them in their cages and we headed to town.  Doc planned to go to the Starbucks Coffee inside the grocery store.  We parked the car and I noticed a sign across the parking lot at Hot Shots Coffee:  $5 Breakfast Special for coffee and a Sandwich.  That looked a whole lot more interesting.

We had a delightful visit to the coffee shop.  When we walked in there were only two other customers - not the crowd of Starbucks.  Plus, there was a senior couple performing live classical guitar and flute music!  Nice ambience.  After placing our order, I could “feel” a penny there. I searched and searched, but the concrete floor was stained a dark brown and I found nothing.  Finally I asked the Angels to show me where the coin was?  Just the edge of a penny appeared under one of the tall tables by the window!  It was a beautiful shiny shield penny. (Coin #1)

Great Discovery: Hot Shots Coffee
With penny in hand, I shared the Penny Finders story with Jim and MaryAnn, the owners of the store.  That led them to sharing their story and WHY they established this place for the youth of the area.  Jim arrives at the store at 4:30 a.m. then teaches Spanish at the High School, then returns in the afternoon to work the shop.  Amazing endurance.  They were the type of people you know you could give the keys to your house and it would be OK.  A wonderful experience.

***************
After breakfast, Doc and I wandered over to the thrift store (looking for glass light heads to replace the ones I shattered). Then we visited the grocery store.  Found a penny there.  (Coin #2).  As I was searching I heard a loud “Hello Tina”.  It was a colleague from CPP who lives within 3 miles of there.  He invited us to his house - maybe on our next visit.

As we were driving back to the cabin we noticed an estate / junk sale along the road.  We stopped briefly for me to look for those glass light head replacements.  Doc stayed in the van because we were in a hurry to get back to the cabin.  I found no glass light heads, but I did spot a great oak corner table.  The leaded glass table top matches our front door leaded windows!  Couldn’t resist asking the price.  $20!  OK.  It’s mine.

New Dining Set and End Table
As we approached the road-side sale, Doc and I had both noticed the very nice oak dining table and 7 heavy ladder-back upholstered chairs. We already have a beautiful dining set and do not need another, so I didn’t even ask about it.  The chairs do match our current chairs and I was planning on getting 3 more. (That style runs anywhere from $75 - $175/chair depending on the quality).  So, at the last minute (mostly out of curiosity) I asked the price for the whole set: $200!  I again asked to confirm.  I stood there in debate with myself. I don’t NEED it, but it is a very nice set and a great price.  So I went to the van and told Doc I had asked about the dining set.  I was sure he would tell me I was being ridiculous to consider a second dining set. He thought it would be $1000-$1500.  I told him the price.  He hopped out and looked at the table and chairs.  We hemmed and hawed.  Finally took it - even if we just used four of the chairs it would be OK.

The lady selling the items knew the family and the history of the oak table.  She told us about the 90-year old owner who is still very active sewing blankets and volunteering her time.  She had been moved into a care facility.  I told about the Penny Palace and the table’s magical new home. Gave a Penny Card to be forwarded to the former owner along with the assurance that the table would be cherished and used for very positive activities.

***************
Lunch at the Cabin
Our van was loaded with furniture. Surprisingly it all fit!  After the considerable delay, we were back on the way to the cabin.

Don and Bobbie our dear friends of 45 and 30 years had called. Don used to work with Doc at General Dynamics and then at Cal Poly Pomona.  They now live in Tucson, but were in the area for a wedding.  The weddings was only a few miles away from the cabin, so they came over for lunch and chit chat.  We had a great time with them.

***************
We realized the dog cages, luggage, and other gear would not fit in the van which was now loaded with all the furniture.  So when our guests left, we headed down the mountain. 

Doc said he wanted 7 coins yet today.  I thought he was being over zealous. We stopped at a 7-11 for coffee and three pennies. (Coins #3-5)

***************


Delivered the load to the Penny Palace.  Doc had been noticing some pink fluid leaking from the van over the past week and as we were parked at the PP it became very obvious.  So at 7 p.m. on a Saturday night, we went in search of an auto repair shop.  We found a wonderful technician, Kenny, at a 76 station.  He spent much time carefully checking all the fluids and filling them.  He did not charge us for his service, only $8 for the liquids and we were back on the road.  I found a penny there (Coin #6) and gave Kenny a Penny Card with attached story.

We were out of cash, so we stopped at a grocery store ATM. There were two young boys who had dropped a penny which rolled away and they were trying to get it.  I told them I also collected pennies and gave them each a Penny Card along with the Penny Finding story.  Their mom was smiling.  I showed them the penny I had just found.  (Coin #7).

As Doc and I were leaving the grocery store, we found two dimes and another penny.  (Coins #8-10).  I ran to the back of the store to show the two young boys the additional coins.  In a few seconds I talked about setting goals, verbalizing, manifesting, etc. (in not so many words).  They were having fun with it.

We got those 7 coins Doc requested - with one extra!

By 9 p.m. we were FINALLY back at the cabin to find very hungry doggies.  After a 12-hour delay, Doc FINALLY started grading those papers!


Total:   10 Coins        P (8), N (0), D (2), Q (0) = $0.28

No comments: