Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Saturday, May 12, 2012

Day #1,240 - Prelude to Moving


Moving Van Arrives

Doc I have different moving styles.  I wanted to sort things well ahead of time, determine which items could be donated and which to keep, clean each item, and pack them in an organized fashion to make them findable when needed.  Doc wanted to put the task off until the final 24 hours and then toss everything randomly in whatever box he could find.  This morning he was continuing to box dirty things and place them in my path.  I was not happy and told him so.  He had a few, choice, rated PG words for me.  By 7 a.m. I wanted to either walk out or strangle the man.

Signing the Moving Contract
We were told to expect the movers some time between 8 a.m. and Noon.  Doc was not happy there was such a large window of time.  At 7:10 a.m. we got a call - the movers wanted to arrive in 15 minutes!  I still needed to prepare a few, last minute things as well as getting out of my pajamas so I told the movers to back off until 8 a.m. as per agreement.  Doc went out to Subway to get coffee and our breakfast.

The movers arrived at 8:15 and we began loading the van.  Today was a practice move for the real one in two weeks.  We moved things like shelving units from the garage, my tool cabinet, bookshelves from Doc’s office, Doc’s desk, Doc's display cabinet, cases and cases of textbooks, and dozens of boxes of solar car project and teaching notes.

We left the Pomona house at 10:30 and headed for the Penny Palace.  Doc detoured to Subway to get food for everyone.  Our movers Alex and Gene were the first guests to eat at our “new” dining table.

As we began unloading, two ladies approached and asked if they could see our rocks in the back yard.  The couple we met (Dick and Kathy on Sign Off Day) had told them about the Penny Palace and the ladies had driven over in hopes of finding us there and being allowed to see the yard.  Of course!  The Penny Palace welcomes guests.  I invited Terry and Doris to please enjoy the yard and house.  I was busy overseeing the move in.

I did a walk through with the movers and instructed them on placement locations for key pieces of furniture.  A year ago I measured each piece of our furniture and played with the layouts and traffic flow of each room for weeks to tweak them and optimize them.  That floorplan has been posted on our wall at home, on a wall at the PP, and I have used it as my working drawing for months now.  When I walked into Doc’s office I was dismayed to find his desk in the “wrong” spot!  I had clearly told the movers where it was to be placed.  I asked Doc about it.  He replied, “I want it on this side”.  I firmly declared, “No!”  I did not want to see all his crap from the Grand Room!  He did not care.  He asked, “Who’s office is this anyhow?”  How could I argue that?  I couldn’t.  So a new tactic was needed.  “Doc, do you realize your TV will not fit on the wall with the way you have things arranged?  It fits just perfectly in that spot where I have carefully planned things for your comfort and convenience.  Guess where the desk is tonight?  LOL

As Doc was putting the contents of his desk back in place, he discovered the fabric Christmas card I had made for him that first Christmas when we were dating. Mushy stuff.  Perfect Angel timing. That had us smiling again.

We locked up the Penny Palace at 2 p.m. and headed home.   When a bookcase was moved this morning, Doc discovered an unopened greeting card behind it.  The card had my name on it so he asked me, “Do you have something you need to tell me about?”  I had no idea who it could have been from.  The Birthday card from my Brother and his family read: “If you ever thought too much about all the places in your home that your pet has touched with his naked butt, you’d have to move!”  How perfect to find it today.  Very True!  And much needed comic relief.
Gleaming Dirt Find


***************
We quickly took a shower and changed clothes.  That helped “switch gears” both physically and emotionally.  We were soon on the freeway and headed to this evening’s function.  We stopped at a gas station and found a brilliant dirt penny. (Coin #1).


Doc at Humphrey Estates



A quick stop at a grocery store yielded another penny.  We were in the check out line when Doc spotted a penny. He tried to retrieve it, but it was embedded in the floor wax.  I only had my little black purse for tonight’s event versus my full bag.  That meant I was only carrying the very basics; no phone or other misc. items.  Merely my wallet, pen and paper, penny cards, tape measure and utility tool set.  Thus, while he made the purchase, I pried out the penny!  (Coin #2)

***************
Tennis Court Dining
Twelve years ago, our friend Michelle died of breast cancer at the age of 26.  In tribute to this wonderful lady, her family and friends established Michelle’s Place - a Resource Center for persons effected by breast cancer.  Their assistance programs have helped thousands of people over the past decade.  This year’s annual Spring Fling Fundraiser was held at the Humphrey Estate in Temecula.  WOW!  What a place THAT was.  A mansion, guest house, pool house, tennis courts, ponds, waterfalls, peacocks, and 20 acres of totally landscaped grounds.  Such an inspiring and fascinating place.




Total:    2 Pennies

No comments: