Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Friday, May 11, 2012

Day #1,239 - We've Only Just Begun


Tonight I didn’t want to write Penny Tales because I didn’t want to think about the day a second time.

I hired movers for tomorrow morning to transport some of the garage stuff and misc. furniture.  Doc has Fridays off from teaching so I figured we could spend the whole day today preparing things.  That did not happen at all.

That spiral staircase needs the oak treads to be finished and the metal spindles to be painted so we can get the pieces out of the Aussie room. George finally agreed for another work session - today!  So much for my packing up. 

The Slagle brothers could only work today as well - but in the afternoon!  That now meant the entire work day at the Penny Palace.  But we need the baseboards installed before the garage shelves get placed in there.

***************
I woke up very early to meet George at 7:30.  He emailed and said he would be 30 minutes late.  So I went to Home Depot.  I have been putting much of our gear in plastic containers and needed a few more.  That style of bins has been discontinued.  The store computer showed nine in inventory, but we could not find any.  Rats.  I did find a nickel there.  (Coin #1).

As I approached the Penny Palace, there was a coyote calmly walking along the equestrian trail.  This confirmed our need to have a secure doggie area to protect our little guys.

When I arrived at the Penny palace, George’s wife Anna, and neighbor, Juan, were sitting on the front bench waiting for me. They said they were there to paint my staircase.  The only thing they had with them was a Starbucks coffee in hand.  Where were the dropcloths, tape, cleaners, brushed, etc.?  They walked in and asked for the paint so they could get started.  Uhh..what about protecting the floor and walls first?  Perhaps wiping off the sawdust and fingerprints?

Juan and Anna tried painting the spindles using foam brushes, bristle brushes, tiny brushes, rollers, etc.  After two hours they determined that they could not do a satisfactory job and so they left.  So, in effect, we made negative progress, since three spindles now are worse looking.

The sales assistant from Home Depot called to say he had unearthed 3 plastic tubs and would put them on hold for me.  I would need to claim them before the end of the day.

Project Manager Daryl arrived to take photos.  Unfortunately there was too much stuff still in the rooms for him to get any good pictures.  I had him assist me with putting up the new glass covers on the ceiling fan in my office. Two of them looked great.  The center one does not fit.  There weren’t many fixtures to choose from, so it is back to the drawing board.  Rats!


For the next two hours I moved things in preparation for the load of stuff we are expecting tomorrow.  My body ached as a result.

The Slagle brothers arrived early afternoon and went straight to work.  They managed to get everything off the “To-Do” list for today.  The major objective was to get base molding in the garage before the shelving comes tomorrow.  Now, however, the molding still needs spackling and painting.  I hate painting and there is no way I have the time to do it tonight.

The Slagles left at 4:30.  Doc called and wanted to go out for an All-You-Can Eat Buffet.  I did not want a heavy meal, I did not want to face the Friday crowds, and I was dressed in paint, sweat, sawdust and grime. No thanks!

***************
I drove to Home Depot to fetch those three containers. No one in the store could locate them.  After 30 wasted minutes, I was very irritated.  That is when Doc called.  He asked me to meet him at the Buffet for Dinner.  I told him No, I needed to get home and get packing.  He hung up on me and went out for dinner.

Doc found one penny when he and Sparky went out for breakfast this morning.  (Doc Coin #1)  Then after dinner and going for coffee, he cruised the high school parking lot.  He spotted a penny, hopped out of the van to retrieve it, then spotted a dime, penny, dime, nickel….eight coins there.  He hopped back in the van for a few more Sit-N-Finds.  (Doc Coins #2-15)   Coin Mine!

***************
While Doc was at dinner, I began sorting things in the garage, cleaning out the fridge and wondering why we were doing this. 

Do you recall the Carpenters’ popular song “We’ve Only Just Begun?”  That came to mind tonight with slightly altered wording…
“We’ve Only Just Begun … to MOVE!  Rat Poop and Spider webs.  A Pill for Pain and we’re on our way…we’ve only begun..” 

Our marriage survived the construction phase, but now I’m wondering if it can endure this moving phase!




Total:    16  Coins        P (10), N (3), D (3), Q (0) = $0.55

No comments: