Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Saturday, September 25, 2010

Day #644 - Nickel and Dimed

This morning Doc and I headed out to run a few errands. His first stop, of course, was Starbucks. The line was long, so I hopped out of the van and walked next door. I spotted a penny at the McDonalds window, but there was a continuous line of 5-7 cars and no chance to run between the cars. (Foregone) I searched in the convenience store, but didn’t see any coins in there. So I did a SingSong. “Hey Penny Angels won’t you come out to play, come out to play, come out to play”. There was a penny as I emerged from the store. (Coin #1)

Doc still had not emerged from Starbucks, so I searched the gas station pumping area. Nothing. The line at McDonalds was still really long. I was feeling devilish.

Conversation with the Penny Angels:

“The penny in response to the SingSong was cute. Well done. That was fairly easy”.

“Now I challenge you to show your stuff. If you are so good at this game, then create a break in that long line of cars so I can retrieve that penny”

I looked back at the window. There were 5-6 cars.

“Didn’t really think you would do it”

I began walking back to Doc and the Van.

One car after another left the McDonalds window in record time. Then there was a break! The break in traffic lasted and I claimed the penny! It was awesome! (Coin #2)

I returned to the van and hopped in just as Doc was receiving his cup of coffee. I said, “With this long of a wait, you had better at least get a few good coins.” He gave me a hand signal - two coins. Then he looked down next to the van and spotted two more coins on the curb! That was a dime and three nickels. (Coins #3-6).

Very unusual to find nickels - let alone 3 of them!

It made it all the more interesting since earlier this month I wrote the 3 Quarters story. A co-worker said sarcastically: “I predict you will next find 3 nickels on one day”.

I stopped to get a battery for a remote controller. Doc went next door to the grocery store to test his blood pressure, collect a penny by the registers, and a nickel by the soda machine. (Coins #7&8)

***************

This weekend the temperatures are expected to be over 100 degrees, so it was time for us to get that new wall air conditioner working. It took hours and hours this afternoon and was not a good project for marital harmony. Suffice it to say that when we finally got it working, we definitely needed a ‘cool down’ in several ways.

***************

I was aching from the activities of the past week so at 7:30 PM I told Doc I was going for a 1-hr Chinese massage - with or without him. He dropped me off at the spa while he went grocery shopping. He collected two pennies at one of the stores. (Coins #9&10).

After an hour he picked me up and we went to Stater Bros. grocery store where Doc spotted a penny through the window before entering the store. It was behind a change counting machine and it was a very tight squeeze for me to get back there. Was concerned that Doc might have to pull me out of the wedged position! The Penny Angels made it more worthwhile by placing three pennies back there! (Coins #11-13). There was an additional penny at a check out lane and then right in the middle of a white, wide walkway on the path to the deli section! Bold as can be! (Coins #14&15).

We paid for our groceries and were leaving. I found a nickel and Doc simultaneously collected a dime! (Coins #16&17).

We quickly walked next door to the bank. We stopped outside the pizza place and I said “I can feel there should be a coin around here”. There was a dime under a bench just outside the store. Then a penny under a second bench. (Coins #18&19)

Total: 19 Coins Found P (11), N (5), D (3), Q (0) = $0.66

Talk to the Angels. They like to play with you.

No comments: