Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Monday, November 7, 2011

Day #1, 053 - Messy Stuff


Some nights (like tonight) I don’t even want to talk about the Penny Palace. After being “in the field” all day, and then coming home to deal with related emails, I want a break!

Today there were four crews working. Clear skies, so the roofers worked the whole day. The masonry crew, as usual, put in a full 7-3:30 day. The tile crew grouted the picket fence tub and put the scratch coat on the Master Tub. The painters were hoping to spray both coats on all the doors and moldings today. The weather was a bit cold, so they will do the second coat tomorrow. The painter and I had different ‘expectations’ as to what is ‘standard’ procedure and color schemes. I wanted three colors: walls, molding, doors. He wanted to finish the job in two days. Those were not compatible goals.

I spent the day answering questions, grinding rocks, testing different mortar dye additives, and dry fitting a stone mini-mountain. (Messy Stuff)

***************

There was an older, partially deaf, black lab which wandered onto the construction site and stayed for a few hours. Tried taking her around the neighborhood to get her home. Tied her on a rope in the front yard, gave her water and a snack, called the number on her collar and left a message with our address. Finally at the end of the day, her people came for her.

***************

At 4 p.m. I shut down the jobsite and headed for home to fetch one of our dogs and get him to the dog groomers. Yesterday Dundee caught his dew claw on Norman’s collar. A serious fight ensued and the ripped out dew claw left blood drops on the floor. Messy Stuff. Thus, today it was a high priority to get Dundee’s other nails trimmed. (I had neglected him for too long). The pet groomers closed at 4 p.m. Rats! I went to another pet shop. They did not offer nail trimming, but referred me to another pet shop. I went to the third place, and after several delays, was told that nails could not be trimmed without proof of a valid rabies certificate. The groomer, Christina, said due to all the hassle, there would be no charge if I would come back tonight. By then it was 5:30 p.m. I was so tired, I did not want to drive all the way home and then return. But the thought of Dundee’s bloody paw made me agree.

I told Christina I would be back in an hour. She suggested 7 p.m. when she returned from her break. I was at the shop door precisely at 7 p.m. Christina was with another customer. She was so patient and kind with them. I, on the other hand, was grumpy and wanting her to keep our scheduled appointment. Dundee was becoming increasingly agitated by the scary noises, slippery floors, and animals of all sorts which were throughout the store.

Dundee and I wandered around the register area while waiting. We found a penny! Thank goodness. I hadn’t even thought about Penny Finding yet today.

Finally we began the process of trimming Dundee’s nails. He was cooperative - for the first paw. After that, he had to be muzzled. Messy Stuff. At the end of the process he and I both just wanted to be out of there.

I got Dundee settled in the car and was ready to drive away when that danged ‘nudging’ hit. “Go back inside and tell Christina about Penny Finders and give her some $ for the day 1,000 Celebration”. I argued back, “NO! I want to go home! I am tired, hungry and totally covered in concrete dust. (Messy Stuff) Back Off Angels! I am not to be messed with today.”

I went back into the store to see Christina. She was patiently waiting on an elderly lady who needed lots of assistance to choose one collar. I was growing increasingly agitated. “Angels, PLEASE back off!” Finally after what seemed like an eternity, Christina asked if I needed something else. “Yes, as a matter of fact…” In a few moments I told her about Penny Finding, Day #1000 and that she deserved recognition for her caring assistance which I had observed. She was in tears. “THANK YOU so much. You don’t know how much that means; how much I needed to hear that”. A few hugs and smiles were exchanged and JOY was shared.

ATTITUDE ADJUSMENT! My heart was singing on the way home. Thank you Angels for insisting on that ARK.

Total: 1 Penny

1 comment:

JR said...

Since we need to have you around to continue blogging, would you consider wearing a breathing mask while you're sanding rocks?