Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Friday, November 25, 2011

Day #1,071 - Black Friday

Our mailbox and recent newspapers have been stuffed with advertisements for today’s sales. The TV and radio stations have been broadcasting stories of people camped for days in order to be among the first shoppers in some stores. Doc said we could go on a shopping spree today for my 50th Birthday if I wanted. I told him I would prefer to just sleep in and not set an alarm clock this morning.

There were many things I wanted to accomplish today. I began at 7:30 a.m. with cleaning dog poop in the yard. Doc took Sparky and headed for Starbucks. They cruised the high school parking lot where they obtained a Sit-n-Find penny. (Coin #1)

When Doc returned, we cleaned the garage for two hours, then washed off the patio furniture.

Next it was off to the Penny Palace to prepare things there. We stopped at the grocery store for some paper towels, fruit, sodas, one dime, and six pennies. (Coins #2-8). Doc was hungry so we visited Jack in the Box where Doc got his food along with three pennies. (Coins #9-11)

At the construction site we chalked some lines, cleaned, planted twirlies, moved gear, finally removed the protective coverings from the fireplace, and tried to ensure a pleasant pathway for tomorrow’s tour.

On the way home from the jobsite we stopped at the deli to place the order for tomorrow’s Lasagna. Found a nickel and a penny at the door of the deli. (Coins #12-13) My brothers are protesting that I am serving pasta vs. turkey for our Thanksgiving dinner. They said I am only allowed to do that because it is my 50th Birthday and for those few hours I get to call the shots! I want people to be at the Penny Palace for a family photo versus in the kitchen playing with a dead bird.

Total: 13 Coins P (11), N (1), D (1), Q (0) = $0.26

Not Penny Related, but cute: For birthdays or other occasions (Valentine’s, Anniversaries, etc.) when Doc and I are grocery shopping, he will take me over to the Greeting Card area, select 4-5 cards with appropriate sentiments, have me read them, and then put them back on the rack. Thus he is reducing paper waste and being financially conservative (some might even say ‘cheap’). This morning I was shocked to find a birthday card on the kitchen counter! Doc said 50 Years is somewhat special, so he splurged. Then I found a second card at my computer. Then a third card in the fruit basket. WOW! Plus there was a card from the three dogs as well!

Doc did say that he was still being frugal since he was able to get his 3 cards at the 99¢ store for less than the dogs paid for their one card.

No comments: