Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Saturday, September 1, 2012

Day #1,352 - Raas Garba


Barrel Repair
After working with me for a few hours this morning, Doc needed to escape.  He went for a coffee and came home with two coins; one US dime and one foreign coin.  Using a magnifying glass he determined the coin to be a 1950 German 5 Pfennig piece.  (Doc Coins #1&2)

I had gotten a few days behind on Penny Tales, so a few hours of my day were spent in catching up.  Of course there were the typical household chores to do as well.  Gardener Raul tidied the yard.  Although I don’t need to be out there, it’s good for me to dedicate that hour every two weeks to giving the yard a little TLC.  (Mostly cleaning up the dog poop).

At 3 p.m. it was time to head out.  We went to Lowe’s to look at folding tables for the upcoming Celebrations.  We found a ceiling fan there, but were not ready to buy it.  Sales person Bart was great in answering all our questions, plus he offered a 10% discount, so we purchase the ceiling fan for the Aussie Guest Room.  A shiny penny at check-out.  (Coin #1)

Next we stopped at WalMart.  Doc wanted more of those $9 polo shirts and a McDonald’s burger.  He found a penny there. (Coin #2)

We have not yet found “the right” light fixture for the Main Foyer, but Doc wants to ensure that the switch and wiring work.  Thus, we visited Home Depot for a $6 “disposable” fixture which we can install temporarily.  One dime there.  (Coin #3)

This evening we went to Cal Poly Pomona - not to work, but for Nakita’s dinner and Raas Garba (celebration and dance).  We arrived promptly at 6:30 p.m.  As Doc pulled into a parking spot, he spotted a shiny penny in front of the van.  Good omen. (Coin #4).  I hopped out to get the coin and stood up to find the Bride’s father in front of me.  He did not know which direction to head for the Celebration.  There were another 20 or so guests arriving who also did not know which way to proceed.  So Doc and I lead the group across campus. 

Upon arrival at the event venue, there was much confusion over the parking situation.  Thus, I had the police called to clarify things (fees or no fees).  Then I headed back out to play traffic director until 8 p.m.  So glad I had my ‘regular’ old gross-looking, comfy shoes in the van.  Standing out there under the moonlight sky I realized that it was fun to help out with someone else’s event, but so far I haven’t missed my old job of being in charge of the events.

The evening’s festivities were primarily non-stop music and dancing.  The parade of beautiful Indian attire was stunning.  The set up of the food drove me a bit nuts. There was food for several hundred people.  It was set against a wall instead of two-sided serving.  There was a 30 minute wait for food - and that continued for several hours.  The empty trays of food were continuously replaced so that part was OK.  However, the serving utensils for the rice and things were tiny plastic forks (like you get with a fast food meal).  People would need to take a dozen forkfuls to get a decent scoop of rice.  The engineer in me was longing to improve the process.

On the positive side … the long food line gave us the opportunity to speak with people from New Zealand, Texas and other places.  That helped whet our appetite to do some traveling.


Total:   6 Coins        P (3), N (0), D (2), Q (0) = $0.23 + one foreign coin

No comments: