Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Monday, September 5, 2011

Day #990 - Labor Day

Today was torture for Doc. Even though it is a holiday, we managed to find some opens stores and looked at flooring and tile for 7-8 hours. THAT was labor. Doc said tomorrow he is considering going to campus instead of working with me (for an easier day).

This morning we headed out to Anaheim to hit one street where there are dozens and dozens of tile and flooring showrooms. Before we hit the freeway, Doc offered to stop at a Circle K to look for coins (and get a coffee). I found a dime in the parking lot. (Coin #1). Done for today.

We shopped for flooring for several hours before Doc got so cranky I had to feed him. At lunch I was determined to find a coin. We looked in the planter beds until Doc unearthed one dirt penny. (Coin #2).

We shopped for a few more hours until the stores closed. Then we headed for the construction site. Since we were both thirsty, we stopped at a 7-11 store. Disappointed that no coins were found inside. I was determined to find a few coins, so I wandered over to the Jack drive up window. As I rounded the corner, a huge truck confronted me, so I hopped into the planter and waited for him to pass. After that, I dove for 4 pennies and one dime! (Coins #3-7).

***************

Doc and I had penny fever and just couldn’t resist heading over to investigate the car wash which was closed for the day. Doc walked one way around the building and I walked the other. Is this what the experts mean when they say couples need to meet each other half way? Doc collected 7 coins and I collected 6. Coin Mine! Such a romantic time together. Our version of a cheap mini-vacation. (Coins #8-20)

***************

We next visited the Penny Palace. Looked around to see if there were any noticeable effects from last night’s rain. All looked OK. Then we collected some trash and the recycle plastic bottles so the site will look a little nicer for the workers tomorrow.

Around 8 p.m. I just wanted to get home. My system was overloaded with data and shopping. Doc insisted upon stopping at Home Depot to look at cheap tile, laminate, and bamboo. He does not want to spend much on flooring. Turned out the Home Depot prices were equivalent to what we found earlier today. As we were leaving, a young sales associate was sweeping the floors at the registers. I looked around and thought, “the floors are all swept, so no coins here”. Wrong. He had swept the dirt into a pile and was pushing it away. I spotted a penny in the pile and asked permission to rescue it. I traded his penny for a Penny Card. (Coin #21). He laughed.

Total: 21 Coins P (18), N (0), D (3), Q (0) = $0.48

No comments: