Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Sunday, July 12, 2009

Day #205 - Errands with Detours

It is Sunday - supposedly a day of rest. Penny Angels must work Sundays. Or, maybe sending pennies to earth is allowed, since that is fun, not work. J

It used to be that 5-10 coins in a day was significant. This month due to a few “Coin Mines”, the average daily count at this point is THIRTY coins per day! That is a tough level to maintain. YOU try finding that many in a day.

***************

Doc wanted to try a different Starbucks today. Yipee! Some adventure in our otherwise routine marriage. J He spotted a nickel, but our arms were too short to reach it. (Forgone coin). I found Penny #1 in the parking lot. We then visited the Jack in the Box where Doc and his boys had breakfast the day of our wedding. He had Penny #2 before even stepping away from the van.

We had met our penny quota for today and I was ready to proceed with the other 99 items on my To Do list. Doc felt that a mere 2¢ was an embarrassingly low number, so he detoured through various establishments on our way to breakfast.

l Walgreens had a nickel and two pennies under the counter. Doc and the cashier ran to the back of the store to do a price check on his purchase, so I got out my pocket knife and tried to chisel the coins out of the wax. No luck - three more Forgone coins.

l Three pennies at another Jack in the Box. Long wait for the one car to get out of my way.

l Penny at the 7-11 gas pump

l At the self-serve car wash Doc found 2 pennies and two stuck-together dimes.

l Two pennies under the counter at the 7-11

l At another 7-11, I found three pennies in the parking lot, then a penny and a dime under the counter. I gave Asha, the cashier, a PF business card and told her the story. She was really nice and gave me an additional penny from the floor behind the counter!

l Chatted with two really nice ladies and shared the PennyFinding story

while having breakfast at Home Kitchen CafĂ©. I was a little disappointed no coins were found there to “validate” my story. Just as we were leaving, I spotted a nickel! Carol was our waitress when we Celebrated Day #100 and has continued cheering for us. It was great to include her in today’s Penny Find.

l We stopped where I had recently seen some boys pitching pennies. Three soiled pennies in the planter.

l Drove through the Farmer Boys diner. One more planter penny.

Twenty-three coins this morning. That is a very respectable collection.

***************

This afternoon Doc said we had shopping to do … I am now suspicious of him. We used to go straight to the grocery store. Not any more. A seemingly simple trip can have numerous detours. At 5:15 PM we headed out in the 100°+ heat.

l One penny at the gas pumps of the AM/PM

l Two pennies at the approach to the closed car wash (one was Canadian)

We were now at 26 coins, but Doc said that would reduce our daily average for the month - keep searching!

l Doc insisted upon driving by that little Snack Shack we discovered earlier in the week. Two bright shiny-like-a-beacon pennies, then three, four, five there!

l At Sprouts grocery I searched the check out area 3 times while Doc was shopping. When it came time to pay, I took care of the sale while he searched. He spotted a penny behind the register. He offered the cashier a penny from his pocket in exchange for the one at her feet. I had fun passing out cards to other curious customers in the line.

l I stopped to get cash at the bank while Doc went next door to the grocery store. He phoned to say he had a penny and that there was “something shiny in Check Out aisle #4” which he could not retrieve due to customers in the way.

l I found a quarter outside the store, then spotted the silver coin Doc had called about. I watched helplessly as an older lady scooped it up L

Data for today: 34 coins (11 this afternoon, plus 23 this morning). Q (1), D (3), N (1), P (29) with a value of 89¢ (The 4 forgone coins would have made it $1.01). We "Hit for the Cycle". Our high average for this month is maintained for another day.

Today Doc had a full-fledged outbreak of “Penny Fever”.

No comments: