In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.

Please visit the website:

Joyfully, Tina

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Day #1,082 - In the Trenches

This morning as I was driving to the construction site I was feeling feverish and tired. I did not want to be out in the cold and dirt again today.

I stopped at 4 tile stores on the way to the jobsite. I needed to get one bag of grout and to give photos of the four bathroom tile projects to the tile reps who had helped me. Everyone liked the picket fence wall surround. One store rep said they might come take professional photos of that!

At the Penny Palace, the landscaping and grading/concrete crews were working diligently. They were laying drainage lines, trenching irrigation lines to the front, running electrical lines, placing piping in the vegetable garden and more. When we met with Rod (the Landscape guy) last week to ask about where to move all the the boulders, he came back with a whole plan to lay the ‘skeleton’ of the waterfalls and ponds now while we have the backhoe and equipment already on site. He promised 8 days to finish the work. Today is Day #2.

Around 11 a.m. the expected flooring delivery arrived. The driver said his equipment could not go over dirt or grass, thus he would leave the pallet on the street. Thankfully Rick and Joe were willing to put forks on their Bobcat and help me out of the predicament. As the truck driver started to lower the pallet of materials, he said “Here is your wood flooring”. Huh? I ordered tile! Had I not been on site at that moment, I would have had a load of wood-looking laminate on the street in front of the house versus the pallets of tile in the garage now.

Mark, the flooring guy was expected to arrive at 10 a.m. He needed to get the plywood laid today, and then the sheet vinyl the next two days. Cabinets come Friday and the floor needs to be in place first. At 1 p.m. I called the flooring store. Mark has been in a car accident and was being looked over at the hospital.

Since cabinets arrive Friday, we need someplace to shelter them over the weekend before installation begins on Monday. Thus, the many pallets of flooring in the garage needed to be moved. And if tile guys are going to work tomorrow, then the flooring needed to be moved this afternoon. I, and a few elves, moved hundreds and hundreds of pounds of it! My body aches tonight.

Around 4 p.m. I locked the construction gate and tried lifting Dundee into the truck. I again began feeling feverish and weak. The Penny Palace must be magical, because I didn’t think about feeling yucky while I was dealing with the various issues there.


Realized I still needed a coin for today. Stopped at a 7-11 for a banana and asked the Angels to please make it quick today. I hopped out of the truck and found a penny within 15 ft. I was tempted to hop back into Pippy and head home, but the nudging said to go inside the store. I did. There were 4 pennies and 3 dimes to be found in there!

Next I made a quick stop at Lowe’s to look for “water drop” tiles for my floor stream. Discovered some ¾” thick wood which I checked out and will see how they look with the existing installed oak. As I returned to my truck and needed both hands to unlock the door, I set the sample boards down - right on a Penny! I was laughing!

Doc arrived home from school around 10 p.m. McDonalds McRib sandwich and dime in hand.

Total: 10 Coins P (6), N (0), D (4), Q (0) = $0.46

No comments: