Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Day #236 - Converted Energy

I was ready to head off to bed. Doc said, “What about today’s Penny Tale?” Yikes. I had forgotten.

I took a vacation day from work to deal with the various action items which would be triggered just as soon as we got the confirming call from the realtor … that didn’t happen. So I converted all that Potential Energy into Kinetic Energy and dealt with lots and lots of things around the house.

Interesting “coincidences”:

a) I was wondering where to put these business cards related to the New Construction Project. They shouldn’t go with all the “old” stuff. Quite a while back I had been given a nice business card holder from Geri (also a Penny Pal) and wondering what to use it for. Last week I was nudged to bring it home from work (questioning myself at the time as to why??). Now I know why!

b) Last week I thought: “I am tired of seeing all these Claremont House Construction things all over the house. They are filling the shower stalls, on the fireplace hearth, in the living room, in the study, in my office, in the guest room … These are constant negative reminders that we are at a stalemate with Claremont. I should just put all this away out of sight”. Well … when this new purchase goes through, all those plans, material samples, etc. can be tossed. It would be a fresh start.

c) Last year we had pulled everything out of our HELOC thinking we were going to build. Last week Doc said we should probably put that money all back in - no reason to be paying on a loan we don’t need. I said to hold it just a little longer since it is borrowed at only 2.5% interest. Good thing. We were able to offer 100% immediate cash for the land, which made our offer extra strong.

***************

The Angels were playing with us today. There were several calls and each time the phone rang, we jumped. Mid morning there was a call regarding the cabin flooring. Nice, but not what we were hoping for. Call #2 was our insurance company saying, “It’s OK. Ignore the letter we just sent you saying your policy has been cancelled!” (That was unexpected). When questioned further the rep said “We had an adjustor look at your house - SNOW LOAD is NOT a concern in your area.” Really? J

The realtor had said she would for sure call us at the end of the banking day with an update. At 3:45 there was a call -- a wrong number! The suspense was growing …

At 4:30 the Realtor called Doc at work! “The bank person has been on vacation and is now catching up with the paperwork. Things are progressing OK”. That sounds like a good, solid “we’ll see tomorrow.”

***************

Today’s Penny Findings:

Easy Pickings: Doc walked into Starbucks with no one in line and gathered a penny and nickel before even placing his order.

As we passed by the storage center where we have rented a unit Doc said “Wave at your flooring”. There are some Penny Pals who have come on board since that incident. In a nutshell: last year the Penny Angels led me to the oak plank flooring for which I had been searching for a year. It was being discontinued, so I bought what I needed for the Grand Room. Then we had to rent a storage unit to hold it! Let’s hope the new Grand Room won’t be much different in size.

Needed to find MY coin before going home. Stopped at the AM/PM store so I could collect a dime at the front counter. (Coin #3).

We were stopped at a major intersection heading West. We were chatting away when Doc realized he hadn’t looked at the median. He looked; there was a penny! He unbuckled, hopped out, retrieved it, hopped in, buckled up and handed me the coin saying “I can’t believe there are so many coins in median strips!” He then looked out the window and said: “I think there is another one there!” He did an encore performance - all before the signal turned!

In diving this might be called a “Forward Double Median Retrieval with a Seat Belt Spin”.

At McDonalds there was a nickel with two pennies (Coins #6-8). We wanted to find a quarter to Hit for the Cycle. Nothing at Del Taco and a penny found finally on the third walk under the KFC window. (Coin #9).

We were back at that same intersection. This time heading North and making the left. Doc said “Rats. We just missed the green light”. I replied, “That’s OK. It gives you more time to search the median”. Yup. Doc spotted another penny! Median finds seem to be his specialty area. (Coin #10).

Doc went to work this afternoon while I stayed home to deal with a registered letter which arrived L and numerous other unpleasant and long-ignored paper piles. Doc found a penny at the grocery store on his way home. Then later he went out to the office supply store to get speakers for his new computer. He called back to say he had just found a dime by the peaches and nectarines. He was out playing with Peaches? J That one will take some further explaining …


Total for the day: 12 coins Q (0), D (2), N(2), P (8) = $0.38

1 comment:

Mandy said...

The suspense for the lot is killing me...
I just got back from Hawaii and you're giving me an ulcer!
Hee hee!
Love you and keeping fingers crossed!
Mandy