Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Friday, February 24, 2012

Day #1,162 - Rented

This morning Doc stopped at McDonalds for coffee and breakfast. There were 6-7 cars in the drive-through line so I hopped out of the van and walked through the self-serve car wash while waiting for Doc to get his order. I did not find any coins and was heading back to the van. I said (out loud), “So Penny Angels, are you sleeping in this morning or What? Where’s today’s penny. Wake Up!” Within a few steps I found today’s penny! I picked it up and said, “This one is coated with dirt and is pretty dismal looking. Can’t you do any better than that?” A few steps further there was a shiny penny. I was laughing. The angels were putting in their 2¢ worth for today. (Coins #1&2)

Rental #1 needed some final cleaning and touch-ups before we were to meet with the new renters this evening. So at 8 a.m. Doc and I, along with Handyman George and his wife, spent a frantic 2 hours trying to make everything ship-shape for the new occupants.

Then we headed for the Penny Palace. Doc visited Jack’s drive-up window for a mid morning snack. I found a penny in the planter on my side of the van. (Coin #3)

Daryl was at the Penny Palace when we arrived. We gave him a status report.

The painters applied the sealer coat to the back garage floor. That completes the 4-day process. We needed to now open the garage to let the sealer dry. Yesterday when driving home we realized - the garage doors have remote controls! Doc and I have never had a remote garage door opener, so that thought never occurred to us. We just needed to find the device.

Tile Jose came to run caulking around the sinks and counters. Grader Rick brought in a load of topsoil. He returned later in the afternoon and offloaded his backhoe.

The concrete team laid the outline for the front walkway. They laid it much farther out than Doc wanted, and “flowing” much differently than I wanted, thus some adjustments were made.

The tile stream inside the house wasn’t ‘flowing’ well either. Not much progress made today. I was not inspired by the remaining assortment of tile pieces and colors.

***************

We left the Penny Palace at 4 p.m. and hoped to have a few minutes for Dumpster Diving before our 5 p.m. meeting. I needed more tiles. We cruised the alleys behind the stores along Tile Row, but it appeared today must have been trash day - the dumpsters were empty.

At 5 pm. we met the Realtor and new Tenants at Rental House #1 to do the Move-In Walk Through. All went really well and they will move in tomorrow.

Afterward we and the Realtor met at the local Starbucks to finish signing all the documents. There was a Halal Grille next door, so Doc and I decided to be adventurous and try a new place for dinner. The cashier and manager were so outgoing and friendly. They were definitely proud of their product. Doc and I parked ourselves at at table. Doc haad eyes glued to the basketball game on TV while my eyes were scouring the floor. There was a penny under the table behind me! (Coin #4)

Since the café was empty except for one other occupant, I went back to the counter and pointed to the penny. I gave a quick summary of Penny Finding and provided the cashier and manager each a Penny Card. JOY shared.

Doc and I enjoyed our meal. There were some leftovers, so I went back to the counter for a foam take-home container. There was a dime on the floor there! I showed the cashier. She and I were both in disbelief. How / when did it appear? We had just been standing there a few minutes earlier. (Coin #5 - Mushroom Coin)

***************

Since we had not found any tiles in the dumpsters, we stopped at Home Depot in search of cheap, but complimentary tiles. We found 3-4 different ones. Then we found a case which had been dropped and half the tiles were already broken. The sales clerk said we could have those! Free is good. Thanks Angels.

Total: 5 Coins P (4), N (0), D (1), Q (0) = $0.14

No comments: