Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day #1,248 - He's Back


This morning my body did not want to uncurl and move.  However, I promised to meet a friend on campus and give her some of my time and assistance.  I showered, packed Pippy with ‘poop’ for the PP, took a quick unexpected call from another friend, replied to emails, dropped checks off at the bank, mailed all the bills I paid last night and arrived only 10 minutes late for our appointment.

Duck Family
One of the first things I spotted on campus was a duck family.  The wildlife at school always makes me smile.  That was good energy which I needed to drag myself up the long flights of stairs up to Lita’s office.  Lita has been working on her goal (BS degree) for twelve years!  Taking 1 or 2 classes each term.  Talk about dedication, that makes three years of Penny Palace construction pale in comparison.  I reviewed her Senior Project and made a few suggestions.  After 3 hours, there was red ink all over 6 pages - with 14 pages left untouched. But I had to leave.

Lita had saved 10 photocopy paper boxes for me and we loaded those into Pippy.  As I was about to get on the freeway, I noticed the passenger window was down and door unlocked.  I was going to just pull over to the curb, but was ‘nudged’ to stop at the gas station instead.  Of course while I was stopped I walked the gas pumping area.  Nudging, “Go inside”.  I went inside and did not see any coins.  Tina: “Angels you are wasting my time today.  Stop it”.  I looked around the store a second time.  Still no coins.  “OK Angels I am leaving”.  As I walked out of the store I glanced back to see a penny through the window, but under a magazine rack. I was just going to return quietly into the store and get the penny.  Nudging, “Go to the truck and get a Penny Card first”.  Tina, “I’m in a hurry and don’t wanna!”  Nudging: “Do It Anyway!”

I obtained a Penny Card from the truck and returned into the store.  Got down on both knees, nose almost to the floor and reached for the penny.  Came up with fingers full of dust.  Went outside again to get better visual coordinates.  Back down on the floor.  There were no customers when I started this adventure.  The cashier by now was wondering why I was stretching under the rack of men’s magazines?  I triumphantly retrieved the penny (Coin #1) and gave him the Penny Card in exchange saying, “I needed a penny today for my Penny Tale”.  I turned to walk away when he said, “WAIT!”

I stood aside as a customer walked up to the cash register, then another, then another.   The store had been empty when I reached for the penny the first time.  Suddenly there were at least 10 other persons in the store and trying to pay for their items.  The young Cashier, Romeo, kept gesturing for me to wait.  I was growing impatient and wanting to leave, but that would be rude.  Tina’s question: “Dear Angels - WHY am I standing here on pause like this when I have things to do?”

Finally another cashier took over and Romeo came over to speak with me.  He said, “PLEASE tell me more.  I felt something when you handed me that Penny Card”.  So I spoke with him for 10-15 minutes about various topics.  He shook my hand several times and said, “Thank you so much for this time of sharing”.  OK Angels, I guess maybe THAT was what I was supposed to be doing.

***************
Lunch Munch
I arrived at the Penny Palace to find Doc and Jim having lunch.  Doc had found a nickel when stopping for their Hawaiian fast food lunch.  (Coin #2)  Evidently on the way down the mountain from the men’s retreat they were discussing job safety and how even tasks like painting could be dangerous.  Little did they know …  That’s about when Doc noticed my bruises.   “Well Honey … a few things happened while you were out of town…”

Doc took Jim to the airport and then returned to the Penny Palace.  We packed up, then locked all the doors (see yesterday’s Penny Tale). 

We were driving separate vehicles.  Doc motioned to me to stop at 7-11 for a beverage.  He picked up a quarter and two pennies as soon as he hopped out of the van.  (Coins #3-5)  His comment, “We make a good team. It’s good to be back together.  Now YOU just need to get a dime to complete the Hit for the Cycle for today.”  I walked into the store and immediately spotted one coin under a display. I quickly snatched it and kept walking.  Opened my hand to discover the requested dime!  (Coin #6)

Doc and I then spent several hours obtaining new cell phones. That task is even more undesirable than bra or shoe shopping.  It makes dentist visits seem fun in comparison.  We got the simplest phones we could find - which is about 10 times more complex than I want.


Total:    6  Coins        P (3), N (1), D (1), Q (1) = $0.43    Hit for the Cycle




No comments: