Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Saturday, September 19, 2009

Day #274 - Play Day

Waking up before 6 a.m. is so terribly disruptive to the body’s natural rhythms. I can’t even remember the penny finds from that long ago. And to wake at those hours a few days in a row is torture! Don’t know how some of you do that. My brain waves are mushed by midnight after getting up that early. J

Today there were numerous penny finds and we weren’t really making much of an effort.

The carpet installers were due at the cabin at 8 AM. We were running late, but Doc still insisted upon stopping at Starbucks. He chose one off the freeway without a drive through lane L. He tossed me out of the van so I could quickly walk the Chick Fillet drive through and meet up with him at Starbucks. Score! There was a penny within 30 seconds - before I even reached the order mic. (Coin #1). The day was off to a good start. I proceeded to the window where I found three shiny pennies - and each one was a different one of the new Lincoln series! Pretty amazing. Then there was a dime and a quarter! Wow! (Coins #2-6).

Doc was still in Starbucks so I quickly walked through the Carl’s Jr. lane. Spotted several under the window as I was approaching. There was one, two , three, then a dime, then a penny. Then I turned around to look back and spotted another one or two. Then there was one in the mud puddle near the curb (yucky), then another under the window. I stepped on something which felt like a small rock. I looked under my shoe to discover a little plastic object and a penny! Mushroom coin. Then another as I was walking away. Thirteen coins there! Coin Mine. (Coins #7-19). One more coin as I returned to the van and told Doc to “Floor it and get going!” (Coin #20).

We hurried down the freeway and were stopped at the red light on the offramp - as usual. We each looked for a penny out our windows since we have spied several Foregone pennies there. Nothing. Doc suggested I hop out and shut the rear van windows. I did and said, “Penny Angels, how about a penny while I am already standing out here on the offramp? Make it worth my while.” (Actually I was a little bolder saying: “I don’t want to get back in that van without My Penny!) At that moment I spotted a penny! Wondering if it was the Foregone one from our last trip, or a different one? Or an Asphalt Mushroom (Coin #21)

***************

The carpet was installed by 10:30 AM and the workers departed. Then Doc and I really got to work at full speed! We wiped, dusted, vacuumed, cleaned, etc. until we could barely move. We needed to be at Grandson’s 2nd Birthday party by 4 PM. Things looked great until we were shutting down the cabin and noticed a leakage under the toilet. L Another problem - for another day.

The birthday party had the usual: food, music, kids, piñata, and abundance of gifts, candy, cake, etc.

***************

On the way home Doc insisted upon another Starbucks stop. I walked through the drive up lane which was deserted! I walked it three times. Nothing! I walked next door past the nail salon to a bike rack. Embedded in the dirt were three pennies. (Coins #22-24). Every parking stall in the lot was full, but a huge pickup truck backed out of its stall as I was walking past. There was a shiny! I thought it was a bottle cap, but was hoping for a nickel. Looked closer to find it was a quarter! (Coin #25). Grabbed it very quickly because the driver of the incoming SUV looked to be more focused on him getting his coffee versus me getting my coin. ;-)

***************

Doc noticed how gorgeous the sunset was … his comment: “Let’s see how the new house lot looks/feels at sunset”. Was this a romantic thought or a data collection opportunity? The lot is less than 2 miles from the freeway, so what the heck. We walked the lot saying things like: “Here is where the doggies’ yard will be, the garage is here, driveway here, fruit trees, here …”

It was a fun few minutes.

***************

When we exited the freeway to go home, Doc asked about pennies on the offramp. I jokingly said “Honey, you KNOW you can’t find pennies in the dark”. (We have found several that way). To which he replied: “There’s one now!” But the light turned green and there was a car behind us … Forgone penny.

I am laughing at the notes on the cassette recorder (which I had forgotten). “Doc is a very frustrated man right now. ‘No action’ yesterday at all. ;-) Then just now he thought he was finally getting a coin, but had to let it go …”

Today’s Total: 25 coins P (21), N (0), D (2), Q (2) + 1 Foregone P = 91¢

No comments: