Background

In March 2008 I began Finding Pennies. In December 2008 I began sharing these "Penny Tales" with a few close friends. They encouraged me to blog the Penny Tales such that more people could enjoy the Adventures with Penny Angels.


Please visit the website: http://www.pennyfinders.com

Joyfully, Tina


Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day #576 - Doc's Birthday

Doc’s 65th Birthday today. A sleep-in Sunday morning. I actually made Doc breakfast this morning! (Mostly leftovers from our lunch with the boys yesterday).

***************

Doc insisted upon his Starbucks coffee. I went with him merely to keep him company. While he obtained his coffee, I walked through the patio area. There were several people enjoying there refreshments. One lady in particular gave me that “what the heck are you doing?” look. (and it was not all that friendly). I sent a thought to the Angels: “Knowing you guys, you are likely to plant a penny smack dab underneath this lady and drive me nutty in trying to get to it!” There is a big oak tree in this patio which drops little brown leaves which have fooled me many times in thinking they were pennies. I saw what looked like a penny near this ladies’ foot. “No, I’m sure it is just an oak leaf”. But in looking again, it was a penny! Wouldn’t you know it. I laughed. The Penny Angels have such a warped sense of humor!

The lady gruffly asked if there was something funny? (Since I was essentially looking right at her and laughing). I replied, “Well, yes, there is. There is a penny underneath you. As a matter-of-fact, there are Three! Are they yours?” She replied, “No, but I am keeping them.” I was disappointed with that. I explained about Penny Tales and gave her a Penny Card. The conversation opened up after that. Sue shared that she had come on some hard times and those pennies were a positive symbol for her. There was a lot more to her story. I told her I would be right back. I went to my car, retrieved my wallet, and offered to “buy” one of the pennies for today’s story. She would keep two pennies, I would get one. She would not be accepting charity, because I was buying the penny from her. She was nearly in tears and blessing me over and over.

(Coins #1-3).

***************

For Doc’s birthday gift, we stopped at the Auto Zone store to get him a new car mat. (After 7 years he has worn a hole clear through the current car mat). As we entered the store we were greeted by a really helpful clerk who spent much time showing Doc all the choices of plain and fancy mats. I was getting impatient and walking the store. Two other clerks asked if they could help me find anything? I said I was just hanging around waiting. “But on Second thought, YES. You can help me find today’s coin!” I gave each clerk a Penny Card and explained the story. They each began looking around. One of them searched through the candy bars and found a penny! (Coin #4). Such smiles and JOY. I turned around and noticed Doc leaving the store. Guess he bought his own birthday gift! Two mats at $1.99 each. (Big spender).

At this point Doc did not have any coins, so he detoured to CVS. He found a penny in the dirt of a planter bed before going into the store, then two more pennies in that flower bed on the way out! (Coins #5-7)

***************

This weekend we were having the land at the cabin cleared in order to comply with the county fire hazard regulations. So at 7 PM this evening we went to the cabin to inspect the work. The people had missed part of the property, so we called them to discuss a plan of action. They arrived shortly to finish the work. Wow! On a Sunday night! While the guys were weed whacking, Doc and I invited Brandi back to the house and got to know her. When the guys finished, they too came into the house and we had a really great time getting to know them.

A bit of paper work after that, a game of Suduko, then all 5 of us (Doc, 3 dogs and I) snuggled for a very warm (and crowded) birthday evening together.

Total: 7 Pennies

No comments: